Search This Blog

Saturday, September 23, 2017

My Self Control

The self-control personality dimension captures the way in which a person regulates and directs him or herself. Being low in self-control can be both good and bad. Occasionally people may be compelled to follow their intuitions and give in to their temptations, and my degree of self-control makes this likely to happen more often than not. This can be good in circumstances where being relaxed and open are important. However, in situations where it is necessary to be focused and careful, I might find that I do or say things that may be inappropriate. 

As someone who exerts little control over your actions, I may find that I commit social blunders that might offend other people and get myself in trouble. For example, if I give responsibility to work on a project that requires close attention to detail, I may be likely to overlook important details because I have difficulty staying focused. Consequently, I ymight feel more comfortable delegating such tasks to other people who are more detail oriented. Being able to recognize such characteristics in myself and having more detail-oriented people do such tasks could be an effective way to manage my own stress level. 

Low self-control may diminish my effectiveness at work. Acting too relaxed can make it difficult for me to focus on projects that require organized sequences of steps or stages. Thus, my ability to accomplish may be inconsistent. Indeed, it’s possible that I might be criticized periodically for being unreliable or unable to “stay within the lines.” Nonetheless, I may still experience many short-lived pleasures and never be thought of as boring.

No comments: